Two Weeks In

I won’t lie, I was apprehensive about going from a family of four to a family of five. Don’t get me wrong, we were (and still are!!) very glad of this change, but I wondered about the day-to-day logistics of being outnumbered by cute little irrational people. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the transition has gone. Maybe it’s just that I’ve got my expectations set right around rock bottom. I planned on giving myself three months to get back into the swing of things–I know that’s the point where we’re back into a rhythm and can’t remember how we did things before the new baby. Several people had asked us about how things were going now that Gemma was here, and I (rookie mistake) told them that we were all doing well, and that I really thought the adjustment period would be harder.

I think a lot of parents would agree that as soon as you say that your kid is a good (insert descriptive: sleeper, eater, etc.), then he or she will immediately cease that behavior and all hell breaks loose. Also known as: the power of the jinx.
Unknown

Oh, sure, there was the time on our second night home from the hospital when Sophie spiked a fever, threw up in her bed, and basically didn’t sleep. Luckily, my parents had decided to stay for one extra night, so it was my mom who stayed up with her, while my dad took care of getting Grace off to school in the morning so we could sleep.

But nobody else got sick, friends and family have helped us out with meals so I have barely cooked, and Joe’s work schedule has allowed him to help more at home when needed.

Then Sophie decided to give up her title of “Best Weber Girl Sleeper.” She will be fine when we tuck her in, then when we leave the room, she gets up and starts crying for us. Some nights she’ll be fine if we leave the bedroom door open, some nights she’ll keep it up for hours… only to start again at 5 am or whatever ungodly hour she awakens. (Oh, and then she threw up again one morning, just to keep it interesting.)

IMG_0231

At least she’s nice to her baby sister

I expect two to three hour snatches of sleep with Gemma (occasionally I get more! glory!) but oh, it is not fun to deal with Sophie during those precious hours. We’re running out of ideas, so any suggestions are welcome… until then, I’ll be drinking lots of coffee and praying for really good naps for everyone.

On the plus side, Gemma had her two week checkup and has surpassed her birthweight, so I feel like a breastfeeding boss.

9 Responses to "Two Weeks In"

1. Ellen Johnson

January 29, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Ah, I can so relate to everything you just wrote. First of all, the SAME THING happened to SK when we brought Gus home, she got a weird stomach thing that kind of lingered and kept us on our toes for a week. Secondly, the sleeping. The ding-dang sleeping! Last week, Gus slept through the night twice! And both those nights Sara was up 3? 4 times? It was miserable! For no good reason too! She wasn’t sick, she just kept on getting up! And of course the nights when Gus went back to his usual 1-2 wake ups at night, Sara slept like a log. The past couple of nights, Gus has been getting up A LOT, I think because of his teeth, and Sara has been totally fine.

In conclusion!!! I’m just done. I take the good nights sleep as they come, but I don’t expect it. I expect exhaustion. I expect kids waking up and making me miserable. Parenting is so humbling!

• Francine Weber

January 30, 2015 at 4:04 pm

It does make it more bearable if I just expect to have a horrible night’s sleep, because then I don’t get angry when I’m not sleeping. In the meantime, thank God for coffee!! I’m sorry it was rough for you, but glad that my kids aren’t the only crazy ones!

2. Laura

January 29, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Glad to hear the transition is going well! I’m getting nervous for when our #3 arrives in a couple of months….

My mom used to say that babies and children love to make liars out of us! Funny but SO true though.

Love that first photo. Too precious!

• Francine Weber

January 30, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Your mom was a smart lady! haha! Hope I didn’t scare you with this post–other than Sophie’s irregular sleeping, it really has been smoother than I expected!

3. Lisa

January 29, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Oh my goodness, the sleep cycles kids go through…Audrey was SO good for a long stretch but recently raises hell most nights after she’s in her crib. She used to go right to sleep or at least lie down without any fuss. And before Heidi arrived both girls were getting up at even ungodlier hours in the morning than before! And like Ellen said, when one has a good night the other has a bad one. 🙁 I’m not looking forward to putting both girls in the same room b/c they don’t have quite the same wake-up/ fall asleep times! Sorry, don’t have much to offer other than solidarity!
    Oh, and I’d say that’s one of my top 5 fav Michael Scott quotes. 🙂

• Francine Weber

January 30, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I bought a nightlight clock (turns green when it’s time to get up) so we’ll be trying that out this weekend for the older two. Hopefully it will keep them in bed longer in the mornings! The girls have been in the same room for awhile, and it went better than I thought it would… til now! It’s like we’re sleep training Sophie all over again, except now she gets out of bed. :/ One of these days they’ll figure it out, right??

4. Jacob

January 30, 2015 at 5:52 pm

There are few people that I give more credit to than stay-at-home moms. Without your hours of restless persistence and determination, our world would be ruins and children would roam the streets like lawless thieves. Keep up the good work, sis.

• Sara LaBruzzo

January 30, 2015 at 9:03 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

5. Margaret

February 2, 2015 at 7:14 am

Again, how I wish we lived closer. I’m praying for all of you.

I love reading & responding to your comments!