5 Reasons Why I Don’t Do Elf on a Shelf
1. We don’t really do Santa, which excuses us from his elves hanging around our house.
2. I think the whole concept is a little creepy. Someone in your house is watching your every move and reporting on you to an old guy that you don’t really know? No thanks!
3. When I first heard about the Elf, I could see how it would be fun for kids to look for him (or her, if I’m being PC) every morning as it moves around the house. But then I discovered that this elf is mischievous, causing all sorts of messes and miniature mayhem. So, my husband or I (sorry, the elf) are supposed to make messes that we’re then supposed to clean up each day? Isn’t that what we do already as parents? My house is full of chaos from little people, I don’t really need to add to it. Even if I can blame it on the elf, it’s not like the elf cleans things up.
4. Isn’t December busy enough for pretty much everyone? By the time we get the kids in bed, I’m more than ready to relax and unwind–not add to my daily to-do list, especially when that task isn’t necessary. I’d much rather find more enjoyable ways to spend time with my family, instead of remembering to try to figure out where else to put the stupid elf, and being reminded of it in the morning before I’m fully awake by disappointed kids.
5. I’m not sure where this originally came from (I found it here) but I have to give points for creativity:
I mean, I get that people are trying to make Christmas memorable for their kids, and have a lot of fun with it… I just prefer to spend my creative energy on other things. I think my kids will survive.