Seven Quick Takes
1. Checking in from the frozen tundra. Okay, so Christy may have bragging rights as far as the whole coldness thing goes, but 3 degrees (feels like -15) isn’t exactly running weather, no matter what the instaweather app says.
2. So this year I remembered to do the whole St. Nicholas thing. I meant to last year, and completely forgot, which doesn’t really matter anyway because Grace never knew the difference. Last night we watched a kiddie movie about St. Nick to introduce the whole idea, and then had Grace put shoes outside her door (Sophie’s too, although she never knew) for a surprise this morning. I was fresh out of gold coins and oranges, so we made do with mini candy bars and a little bit of change for the piggy banks. Copper pennies kinda look like they could be a gold coin’s cousin, especially when you’re three and a little fuzzy on metallic colors anyway.
3. For anyone who is wondering how I find time to do things: right now Sophie is shredding everything in sight and leaving trails around the room. Good thing I never got around to vacuuming this week (I only have time for important things like blogging).
4. Normally, when I work out, I prefer to time it so the little people are sleeping. Occasionally Sophie is around to sit under my legs while I try to do lunges, but today Grace was awake while I duked it out with Jillian and her fitness cronies. Never again. I guess I didn’t realize that her machine-gun questions wouldn’t pause for 25 minutes. “Mom, what are you doing? What is that? I’m going to try. How do you do it? Is it like this? I don’t know how to do this sport. I’m just going to sit down and take a break. What are you going to do now? Bicycles? (bicep curls) What are their names? Why can you see her tummy? Why do you exercise? Why is your face all red?”
5. To balance out the word/picture ratio, I give you a selfie where Grace is fake snoring in my ear:
6. Out of frustration a few days ago when Grace would. not. stop. trying to play with the trackpad/press buttons on the laptop while I was trying to use it, I got her to do the “no touching!” bit from Arrested Development. It works about 50% of the time, which is a far better success rate than anything else I’ve tried.
7. Today is my mom’s birthday, and she’s coming to celebrate with us and visit for the weekend, so I have a cake to bake. Happy Friday, all! I hope you get a dessert half as good as this cake will be!