Seven Quick Takes

1. First of all, I want to ask that you please, pretty pretty please pray for Dwija, her unborn baby, and her family. There’s been some complications with this pregnancy, and after having another ultrasound yesterday with not-so-great news, she and her family can use all the prayers they can get. Thank you!!

Okay, now for all my trivial takes-

2. So, I bought Nutella for the first time the other day. I have no idea why it took me this long… maybe I didn’t want to get sucked into one of the biggest Pinterest cliches? Although it’s not like I’m afraid of jumping on any and all bandwagons. Seriously, though. I love chocolate and I love hazelnuts. Match made in fattening heaven. New favorite snack: toast with Nutella and sliced strawberries. The strawberries balance out the health factor, right? (Say yes.)

3. Speaking of strawberries, I am so glad it’s June. I’ve never been a big fan of fruit, but I love berries. I love when June rolls around and all of a sudden berries are in season and affordable. Luckily, Grace decided to change her story and now, after two years, likes them. Very convenient, since I have four pounds of them in the fridge right now.

4. This week I’ve been waging war against ants. Not the giant gross carpenter ants that would march into my dad’s house every summer, but still. Every time I think I’ve finally stopped them, I find them in another spot in the house. I think we need to use some ant poison and spray the crap out of the north side of our house (they don’t seem to care about any other sides) and see if that works. We used a bit inside but had to be extremely conservative, because it’s poison and you know, small kids and all.

5. We’ve been working on potty-training Grace (I can hear you laughing from here, Mom) and getting Sophie to sleep at night and I think I might maybe just lose my mind. I know that the end results will be worth it but ohmygosh I hate it right now. Sophia is finally crying less at night, but then wakes more frequently than the nights that she would cry and cry forever before sleeping. The kid just hates falling asleep, and so she’s not good at napping right now, either. And the potty-training? It’s been going on for far too long, but no matter what, nothing seems to work. We keep going back and forth between thinking she’s ready and (me) deciding that no she isn’t after lots of failure and frustration. Right now I’m tempted to let her train herself when she goes to kindergarten.

6. One of Grace’s new things: she’s been learning her letters and how to spell her name (she loves for me to write on her Maggot Noodle – MagnaDoodle in Grace-speak) and so the magnetic chalkboard/letters have been a big hit this past week or two.

IMG_1792

she’s also into underlining her name

7. How my OCD husband grills:

grill

And that’s all I’ve got. Hope you have a great weekend! Don’t forget to visit Jen and read a lot more takes that are a lot more interesting!

m4s0n501

8 Responses to "Seven Quick Takes"

1. Rosie

June 7, 2013 at 8:56 am

I’ve been doing the borax + sugar + water and that’s worked pretty well on ants, in addition to wiping down surfaces with vinegar. Borax is only toxic to people in HIGH doses (and some people even purposely ingest it… I bet you could get Grace to help you wipe surfaces down!

2. Francine Weber

June 7, 2013 at 9:09 am

Thank you!! I’ve been spraying vinegar like it’s my job, and just trying to keep up with crumbs and messes in the kitchen- it’s never looked so clean!

3. ellenjohnson824500384

June 7, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Ummmm, you just bought Nutella for the first time?!?!?! I can’t decided whether to be horrified that you’ve never partaken in the awesomness or horrified that you actually took the plunge and joined us fatties since you’ve managed to stay away this long! Seriously, Francine! Nutella loving is a serious life-long and life-changing commitment.

And maggot noodle is now my new favorite toddlerism. Too funny!

• Francine Weber

June 7, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I blame it on the fact that I never went to Austria. You are so right about it being life-changing… being skinny is overrated, right? :)

I think it’s my fave of all the things she’s said- I can’t bring myself to correct her because it’s too funny.

4. Lisa

June 7, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Oh geez, ants are a pain. We have an ant man come and spray every 3 months (they’re nesting under the house *shudder*). I’m kinda dreading potty training. Isn’t there a kindergarten somewhere that’ll train kids? ;) That last pict. is hilarious!

• Francine Weber

June 7, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Seriously. I’m considering paying someone to potty train her for me. And yes, one of my favorite things is to tease my husband about his OCD tendencies. It’s just too fun! :)

5. Cynthia

June 8, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Ok, Francine, did you know that simple Windex kills those babies on the spot? Granted…it’s not good for children either, but I feel a whole lot better about it than the poison. Holy crap, we get ants too. I hate, hate, hate them. Hate them. Also, I watched as an ant took 2 hrs to cross a line of cayenne pepper I sprinkled on the floor. They hate that. Oh…and tee tree oil messes up their “signals” to other ants too, apparently.

Ok, I’m done.

• Francine Weber

June 9, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I windexed the crap out of them this morning… I found a bunch in my kitchen sink this morning. Yuck. I didn’t know that about the tea tree oil, I’ll have to try that! Thanks for the tips!!

I love reading & responding to your comments!