Favorite Baby Items
I realize that having my second baby mere months ago doesn’t exactly make me a baby expert (I can hear you laughing from here) but I thought I’d throw my two cents at you anyway. Maybe it will help, maybe not, but I always like to hear what worked/didn’t work for fellow parents.
1. Ergo carrier– This was on the top of my ‘second baby wish list’ since with Grace we were broke (sometime maybe I’ll share the story of how we were both suddenly unemployed when I was 6 mos. pregnant… good times) and were going with the barest of necessities. I tried a ring sling (uncomfortable) and Moby wrap (I never felt like I could let go, which defeated the purpose) and didn’t love them. I also tend to get a sore back, so I was happy to find a carrier that didn’t put the stress in the middle of my back like so many other carriers. And, best of all, Sophie loves it. We bought ours off of Amazon, because some of the prints are cheaper there than anywhere else.
2. Aden + Anais blankets– Soft and breathable. My mother-in-law kindly gifted us a set before Sophie was born, and I loved them so much I bought another set. When Grace was little, I remember telling people that she didn’t like to be swaddled, because she always wiggled out of it immediately. Now I realize that I was just an idiot who didn’t know how to swaddle properly. I love how breathable they are too, so I don’t have to worry so much when Sophie gets twisted up if she’s especially squirmy.
3. BOB Revolution Duallie– This was our big splurge for our second kid. With Grace, we ended up having a couple of strollers for various purposes, but we only wanted one double, so we got one that would allow one of us to go running with both of the kids. We scored on a Mother’s Day deal and while we haven’t gotten to take it out as often as I’d like this spring (stupid rain) we LOVE it. As someone said when recommending it: this thing drives itself.
4. Sleep-and-play/Footie pajamas- Or whatever you call them. I love these things. Outfits are cute and all, but it can be annoying to have too many items to wash (especially in the event of a blowout) and it’s not like baby socks ever ever ever stay on baby feet. I love that these are one piece and keep Sophie warm without the pant legs bunching up around her knees and socks getting kicked off.
5. Baby Mirror- I was thinking of the ones that are for the car, but we also have one that goes in the crib. Both are awesome. It always cracks me up to see babies smile at themselves in the mirror, and the car ones are great for seeing your rear-facing child.
6. Gerber pre fold cloth diapers- These make the best burp cloths. Cheap, large and absorbent. In all fairness, I haven’t tried other brands, but I’m sure they’d work too. Also for the record: I have not used them as actual diapers. We were gifted a few actual burp cloths when Grace was born, and they were 2 inch wide pieces of fabric that provided zero coverage. Total waste.
7. Mustela baby shampoo: Both girls have had cradle cap, and while this doesn’t completely do away with it, it does help. Plus, it lasts for a really long time.
What about you? Are there any other items you think I should have added? I always love to see what is on everyone’s must-have list!